A roundtable is a form of academic discussion where participants agree on a specific topic to discuss and debate. The intent of a roundtable is to grant all attendees an equal right to contribute. Traditionally, roundtables are hosted by a moderator who orchestrates the discussion, sets the tone of the conversation, and encourages attendees to participate by sharing personal insights.
In addition to roundtables, actives will also be offered for the first time at the 2021 ASEE Southeastern Section Virtual Conference. The purpose of an active is for the session organizer to share, and initiate the practice of, innovations in teaching and technology.
2022 Virtual Conference Roundtables and Actives
The theme of the 2022 ASEE Southeastern Section Virtual Conference is Collaboration Within and Without. Roundtables and actives should foster collaboration and learning amount participants. The goal of these sessions is to promote the lively exchange of strategies and ideas while inspiring participants to be more innovative and resourceful educators.
List of Roundtables and Actives
Roundtables and actives will be held from 3:00 – 4:00 PM EST on Monday, March 8th, and Tuesday, March 9th. A list of the roundtable and active topics can be found below:
- Active Learning in Synchronous Online Engineering Classrooms (Part 1)
- Active Learning in Synchronous Online Engineering Classrooms (Part 2)
- What Kind of Progress are We Making in Becoming Anti-Racist Institutions?
- Improving Quality of Student Assessment using Test Blueprints
- Shippable Teaching Laboratory Kits for Remote Fluid Mechanics Instruction
- The first 15 conference attendees who register for this active will receive a complimentary remote-learning laboratory kit developed by Engineer, Inc.
- Interested parties can register for this active by filling out a Google Form. Link to Google Form: https://forms.gle/kcSD6sorbU32zBDWA
- Registration must be submitted by Monday, March 1st to receive the kit prior to the conference.
- Looking Ahead to the Future Work for Engineers and Engineering Technicians
- Improving Engagement and Advancing Production Quality of Your Video Teleconference
Call for Roundtables and Actives
Individuals interested in moderating a roundtable discussion or leading an active should submit an abstract (350 words or less) via the Conference Paper Management Website. Roundtables and actives are intended to be one hour long. When submitting an abstract, please be sure to include:
- Name(s) and Affiliation(s)
- Description of roundtable topic or active activity.
- Technology and/or software requirements for participants.
- Dates when you are unavailable.
Abstract submissions are due by Monday, January 25th and notification of acceptance will be provided by Wednesday, February 3rd.
If you have any questions about roundtables or actives, please contact David Calamas.
To download a copy of the call for proposals for roundtables and actives, click the button below.