- CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Student Division Interest Survey
- CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: ASEE 2023 CED Community Engagement Video Competition
- CALL FOR PAPER: FIE 2023: Call for Abstracts
- CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Seeking Recent Engineering and Engineering Education Ph.D. Graduates with Positive Mentoring Experiences
- CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Virtual Safe Zone Ally Training Workshops: Supporting LGBTQ+ Inclusion in STEM
- NSF grants for postdocs in STEM education research
- Reduced rated rooms set aside for the student division
- POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Assistant Professor Position – Civil Engineering Technology, Farmingdale State College
- POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Post Doctoral Researcher – Drexel University (CASTLE)
- POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Postdoctoral Researcher, STEMM Identity at University at Buffalo (UB)
- POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Assistant Professor, Engineering Studies – National Technical Institute for the Deaf, Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
- POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Postdoctoral Position in teaching observation research at the UC San Diego and UC Riverside
- POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Director of Industrial Outreach and Educational Assessments – Bioengineering at UC San Diego
- POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Teaching and Research Post-Doctoral Associate in Engineering Education at Elizabethtown College
- POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Assistant Director, Polytechnic Tutoring Center, NYU Tandon School of Engineering
- POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Open Rank Research Associate, Informal STEM Learning Research at Florida International University
2. CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: ASEE 2023 CED Community Engagement Video Competition
The ASEE Community Engagement Division (CED) is pleased to announce the 2023 ASEE CED Community Engagement video competition to recognize outstanding efforts and promote high-quality meaningful communion in the field of engineering community engagement.
We encourage you to consider participating for the chance to be recognized nationally for your community engagement contribution and for making a difference locally and around the world.
Submissions will be due on April 15th, 2023, and the winner will be announced at the 2023 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition. More details on video minimum requirements, the judging rubric, and past winners can be found on the 2023 CED Community Engagement video competition website: https://sites.asee.org/ced/video-competition/
Please contact Rajani Muraleedharan (firstname.lastname@example.org) -or- Lekshmi Sasidharan (email@example.com) with any questions.
3. CALL FOR PAPER: FIE 2023: Call for Abstracts
Abstract Submission Deadline: March 20, 2023
The 2023 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE 2023) is calling for abstract submissions! The conference organizing committee encourages authors to consider the FIE 2023 theme, “Engineering Education in a Diverse, Global Word” with their submissions. The 2023 FIE Conference will be held in College Station, Texas, USA, on October 18-21, 2023. Full conference details can be found on the conference website, https://2023.fie-conference.org/
We encourage you to view the full Call for Abstracts and key dates here: https://confcats-siteplex.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/fie23/large_fie23_cfa_web_09_7255a13dda.jpg
4. CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Seeking Recent Engineering and Engineering Education Ph.D. Graduates with Positive Mentoring Experiences
To help better understand and support women doctoral candidates in engineering disciplines and engineering education research programs, we are looking for research participants for our study.
Specifically, we are looking to interview individuals who identify as women and have completed (or are about to complete) a doctoral dissertation in an engineering discipline or an engineering education research program and their mentors about their mentoring experiences and strategies that helped them navigate their pathway through graduate school. All interview participants will receive a $25 Amazon e-gift card for their time.
If you would be interested, please complete this interest survey: https://clemson.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3C5Sks74E3xJoay
Please contact Jennifer Brown with your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org, and please pass on this call to anyone you know who might be interested. Thank you!
5. CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: Virtual Safe Zone Ally Training Workshops: Supporting LGBTQ+ Inclusion in STEM
Join us this spring for a series of free Safe Zone Ally Training Workshops. These interactive training sessions raise awareness for LGBTQ+ inclusion in STEM and create a visible network of allies to foster a supportive atmosphere for LGBTQ+ individuals.
Level 1: March 27, 2023 | 3:30 – 5:00 PM, ET
REGISTRATION LINK: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_bF_j8rwNQfaDbDBDy51GUQ
Level 2: April 4, 2023 | 2:00 – 3:30 PM, ET
REGISTRATION LINK: https://bit.ly/2023SZL2
Trans Allyship: April 11, 2023 | 2:00 – 3:30 PM, ET
REGISTRATION LINK: https://bit.ly/2023SZTA
6. NSF grants for postdocs in STEM education research
NSF is delighted to announce two solicitations for postdoc fellowships in STEM education research. The solicitations are:
- Individual Postdoctoral Fellowships: Solicitation (23-544) is for awards to individual postdocs conducting STEM education research with a sponsoring researcher at a host institution. (https://beta.nsf.gov/funding/opportunities/science-technology-engineering-mathematics-0).
- Organizational Postdoctoral Projects: Solicitation (23-545) is for awards to organizations to establish projects that would fund postdocs conducting STEM education research. https://beta.nsf.gov/funding/opportunities/science-technology-engineering-mathematics-1
The web sites associated with each solicitation include information about webinars and office hour sessions.
- Reduced rated rooms set aside for the student division
Please find the link for the reduced-rated rooms set aside for the student division.
8. POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Assistant Professor Position – Civil Engineering Technology, Farmingdale State College
Farmingdale State College has a vibrant and expanding civil engineering technology program focused on applied learning, tight partnerships with local industry, and is set on a beautiful 380-acre suburban location on Long Island. With a teaching focus, faculty have opportunities to collaborate with nearby institutions, stakeholders, and municipalities without a revenue requirement for tenure attainment. Details are at: https://farmingdale.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=158796
9. POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Post Doctoral Researcher – Drexel University (CASTLE)
Drexel’s Center for the Advancement of STEM Teaching and Learning Excellence (CASTLE) is seeking to hire a Post Doctoral Researcher to organize and administer critical aspects of select CASTLE programs, including a program focused on supporting the professional development of STEM graduate students as educators and a program focused on classroom-based approaches to expand access to research experiences for STEM undergraduates. CASTLE is an interdisciplinary research group focused on affecting academic institutional change in STEM teaching and learning across the educational spectrum, through conducting, catalyzing and supporting fundamental research.
- Master’s Degree or Equivalent in STEM field
- 2-4 years of experience
- Background in STEM education and experience working in an academic setting.
- Applicants must be adaptable, self-motivated, able to work independently, detail-oriented, be able to contribute creatively in the implementation and management of CASTLE’s programs, and have strong interpersonal skills.
Preferred Qualifications: PhD completion or ABD status is a plus
10. POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Postdoctoral Researcher, STEMM Identity at University at Buffalo (UB)
The University at Buffalo (UB), State University of New York seeks a Postdoctoral Researcher to join a research team coordinated by its Graduate School of Education (GSE). The research team is engaged in a variety of projects related to measuring and promoting Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) identity for K-20 students, particularly those under-represented such as Black/African Americans, Hispanic Americans/ Latinx, Native, Alaskan and Pacific Island Americans, and Women. The postdoctoral research associate will be mentored by a team of faculty in science education, counseling psychology, sciences, engineering and medicine in all dimensions of academic research, psycho-social aspects, and career development. The term for the post-doc research associate is two years. Candidates with research expertise in STEMM education (any level of K-12, undergraduate and graduate), educational measurement and evaluation, and educational Equity, Diversity, Justice and Inclusion (EDJI) are particularly welcome to apply. The position can begin as early as July 1, 2023, and the search will continue until the position is filled. Applications can be submitted electronically via this site: https://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu/postings/39901
11. POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Assistant Professor, Engineering Studies – National Technical Institute for the Deaf, Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
The Department of Engineering Studies (DES) at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) is seeking to fill a 9-month Tenure-Track faculty position in the engineering field to provide instructional support for students taking associate level courses in NTID’s Department of Engineering Studies, and provide tutoring support for students taking baccalaureate level courses in RIT’s Kate Gleason College of Engineering (KGCOE) and the College of Engineering Technology (CET).
12. POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Postdoctoral Position in teaching observation research at the UC San Diego and UC Riverside
The “Show Me the Data” Team, a group of cross-UC researchers at UC San Diego and UC Riverside, is inviting applications for two full-time Post-Doctoral Researchers for 3-year terms. One Post-Doctoral Researcher will be based at UC San Diego, and one Post-Doctoral Researcher will be based at UC Riverside. The postdocs will join a new project funded by a 5-year NSF I-USE Transformations grant (PIs: Melinda Owens, Richard Edwards; co-PIs: Claire Meaders, Annie S. Ditta).
This project brings together researchers who are interested in understanding the ways in which university instructors make use of teaching observation data and how such data may be used to promote long-lasting changes in teaching of STEM courses (e.g., promote increased use of high-impact practices in the classroom). The Post-Doctoral Researchers will have the exciting opportunity to work with the Teaching and Learning Centers (TLCs) at UC San Diego and UC Riverside to build their skills in teaching observation protocols, survey and interview instrument construction, and qualitative and quantitative data analytical methods.
Each Post-Doctoral Researcher will be an active member of a team, working collaboratively with PIs Owens & Richards and co-PIs Meaders & Ditta, as well as the other Post-Doctoral Researcher and graduate and undergraduate students at both the home and the other grant site. Each Post-Doctoral Researcher will work closely with the 2 campus research teams to coordinate with site PIs on: 1) developing survey instruments to assess meaning-making from teaching observation data, 2) receiving and providing training in the use of teaching observation protocols, and 3) coordinating teaching observations and pre- and post-observation interviews. Each Post-Doctoral Researcher will take a lead role in data collection at the home site and will be available to support data collection at the other site. The Post-Doctoral Researcher additionally will lead data analysis as data are collected. Time permitting, the postdoc will also be encouraged to develop and conduct independent research.
- Work collaboratively with the cross-campus grant leadership team.
- Liaise with 2 research teams: coordinating survey and interview construction, training and implementation of data collection (including participant recruitment).
- Lead data collection at home institution, including instructor interviews and classroom observations
- Lead a data analysis team
- Develop and conduct independent research, time permitting
- PhD in a STEM discipline, science or STEM Education Research, psychology, or a related discipline
- Experience or strong interest in science education research
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with quantitative statistical analysis
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience teaching using evidence-based teaching practices
- Knowledge of or experience using teaching observations in STEM Education (Instructor Talk, COPUS, DART, CDOP)
- Experience with teaching-related professional development
- Experience with survey construction and validation
- Proficiency with qualitative research methods
- Commitment to helping the University of California serve minoritized students
Start date: July 1, 2023 but negotiable
Modality: Mostly in-person, but remote work is possible for the first summer (2023)
Salary and Benefits: The annual stipend and benefits will be commensurate with University of California guidelines. The annual stipend starts at $64,480 per year.
Application Instructions: Applicants should submit a cover letter that includes the names of 3 references, CV, Statement of Past Research (1-2pg), and Statement of Past/Present Contributions to Advancing Diversity and Inclusive Excellence (1-2pgs). Please mention your preferred campus in the cover letter and email all materials to Dr. Richard Edwards at email@example.com.
References will be contacted for letters separately. Review of applications will begin on April 15, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Questions can be emailed to Dr. Melinda T. Owens (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Richard Edwards (email@example.com).
13. POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Director of Industrial Outreach and Educational Assessments – Bioengineering at UC-San Diego
The Shu Chien-Gene Lay Department of Bioengineering at the University of California, San Diego invites applications from outstanding candidates for a Director of Industrial Outreach and Educational Assessment. This position is an academic appointment in which appointees administer academic programs related to the teaching and or research mission of the University. (APM-375). This position will serve as the Industrial Outreach Program Administrator and Educational Assessment Officer for the Department of Bioengineering. This position may be expected to teach undergraduate and masters level courses such as to augment skills and training for professional issues, and/or meet other teaching/instructional labs technical needs. The incumbent will lead all internship/career fair efforts (development/implementation) and will serve as the liason to the Whitaker Center for Biomedical Engineering (WCBE), which is the continuation of the Whitaker Institute of Biomedical Engineering.
All candidates must have earned a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Bioengineering or a related field. In addition, the successful candidate is expected to have:
Demonstrated expertise in developing curricula that address the evolving assessment needs of an Engineering department; demonstrated excellence in academic administration; and a commitment to equity and inclusion in higher education.;
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales.
Applications must be submitted to the UCSD on-line application collection system, AP-On-Line Recruit, at: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF03518
14. POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Teaching and Research Post-Doctoral Associate in Engineering Education at Elizabethtown College
We are hiring a Teaching and Research Post-Doctoral Associate at Elizabethtown College to contribute to an NSF Broadening Participation in Engineering grant to develop, launch, and assess the Greenway Center for Equity and Sustainability in Engineering. For details and to apply, visit: https://etown.peopleadmin.com/postings/4919
Inquiries can be addressed to Dr. Sara Atwood (firstname.lastname@example.org).
15. POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Assistant Director, Polytechnic Tutoring Center, NYU Tandon School of Engineering
The Polytechnic Tutoring Center (PTC) seeks a STEM education practitioner to assist the Senior Director in the overall management of the PTC. The Assistant Director will serve as a mentor and supervisor to undergraduate tutors, developing their content knowledge; develop course-specific tutor training materials; assess and redevelop review session materials; liaise with faculty to ensure alignment with course content; conduct assessments regarding usage and student performance; assist with the oversight of the reception area and supervision of student front-desk aides and one Graduate Assistant. Participation in Admitted Students Day, New Student Orientation, and commencement activities will be needed periodically.
16. POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Open Rank Research Associate, Informal STEM Learning Research at Florida International University
Dr. Remy Dou’s Talking Science group is seeking an open rank research associate to co-lead professional development with informal learning professionals. Whether you’re a soon-to-be PhD or an experienced informal learning educator, consider applying!
Details are at https://t.co/VHI6P2ru0Y