2024 ASEE Call For Papers
MATERIALS DIVISION CALL FOR PAPERS
The Materials Division invites paper submissions for the 2024 Annual American Society for Engineering (ASEE) Conference in Portland, Oregon. Papers will be accepted on a publish-to-present basis. The Materials Division accepts papers ranging from detailed research projects to scholarship of teaching papers. Works in Progress are welcome; please denote as such when submitting an abstract.
Papers that address issues relevant to materials education including, but not limited to, the topics listed below are welcome for submission.
- General pedagogical innovations in materials teaching (i.e. active learning, project-based learning, problem-based learning)
- Advances in materials laboratory courses (i.e. experiment design, report writing)
- Application of materials concepts in the context of other disciplines: integration of materials education in design projects or typically non-materials courses
- Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in materials education
- Academia-industry collaborations
- Incorporation of computational tools, machine learning and artificial intelligence in the materials classroom
- Online learning strategies for materials education
- Innovations and best practices in introductory materials courses
- Introducing topics of sustainability and life cycle within materials curriculum
- Materials in K-12 education and outreach
Abstracts and subsequent papers should be submitted via the ASEE paper management system. At least one author for each accepted paper is required to register for and present the paper at the conference. Author guidelines and author kit can also be found on the ASEE website.
- October 1st, 2023 – Abstract submissions open
- November 1st, 2023 – Abstract submissions close
- February 1st, 2024 – Draft submissions close
- May 1st, 2024 – Final paper submissions close
- Please note that both abstract and draft paper reviews are double-blind, so do not include personal or institutional identification.
- Abstracts: Submitted abstracts should be approximately one page or less in length, with a suggestion of 250-500 words. (See Appendix B of the Author Kit for details.)
- ASEE 2024 Author Kit: Please make sure to follow the abstract and paper submission guidelines, available at: https://www.asee.org/events/Conferences-and-Meetings/2024-Annual-Conference/Paper-Management/2023-Authors
Please contact the Program Chair Dr. Joel Galos (jgalos [at] calpoly.edu) with any questions.
We are also accepting nominations for the New Materials Educator and Michael Ashby Outstanding Materials Educator Awards. Please check our website for more information and contact our Awards Chair Dr. Lessa Grunenfelder (grunenfe [at] usc.edu) with any questions.
2023 ASEE Conference Schedule
The 2023 ASEE information is available for reference here: https://sites.asee.org/materials/2023/09/21/2023-schedule/