2020 Call for Papers
The Materials Division of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) is soliciting papers for the 2020 ASEE Annual Conference being held in Montreal, Quebec, Canada from June 21-24, 2020. The mission of the ASEE is to advance “innovation, excellence, and access at all levels of education for the engineering profession.”
The materials division invites abstracts and subsequent papers that address issues relevant to materials education including, but not limited to:
- Innovations in materials education: active learning, project-based learning, problem-based learning, etc.
- Application of materials concepts in the context of other disciplines: integration of materials education in design projects or typically non-materials courses (see note below about materials/manufacturing joint session)
- Student engagement and personalized learning: strategies to connect materials content to student interests and/or customize content to individual student needs
- Academia-industry interaction: collaborative efforts with industry partners, entrepreneurship, use of case studies in curriculum design, etc.
- Incorporation of technology in the materials classroom
- Best practices in introductory materials courses
- Introducing topics of sustainability and life-cycle within materials curriculum
- Materials in K-12 education and outreach
New for 2020! The materials and manufacturing divisions encourage the submission of abstracts for a joint session focused on the intersection of materials and manufacturing. Papers addressing curricular strategies, lab-based and hands-on learning, and other innovations in education incorporating both materials science and manufacturing technologies are encouraged.
Papers will be accepted on a publish-to-present basis. Works in progress are welcomed but should be denoted as such when submitting an abstract.
Abstracts should be submitted via the ASEE submission and paper management system. At least one author for each accepted paper is required to register for and present the paper at the conference.
Information for authors, including due dates for abstract and paper submission, can be found on the ASEE website: https://www.asee.org/annual-conference/2020/paper-management/for-authors
In addition to papers, the materials division hopes to convene a session to share successes and failures with lab activities, classroom demonstrations, and in-class activities. Please contact the program chair if you are interested in participating. Participants will be asked to briefly describe or show (live or via video) an activity/demo and discuss facilitation and student feedback. Presentations will be approximately 5-10 minutes each, followed by group discussion.