ASEE Engineering Design Graphics Division:
73rd Midyear Conference
Call for Papers (PDF)
Program Information – Conference Agenda
Lodging and Campus Map (PDF)
Location – University of California, Berkeley
Program Co-Chairs – Daniel Kelly and Thomas Delahunty
Site Chair – Dennis K. Lieu
Two grants are available to participants – please note that applications are due by August 31st.
Rising Educator Award (PDF)
Outstanding Educator Award (PDF)
Authors are invited to submit a 1200 – 1500 word digest for presentation at one of the conference oral sessions or the media showcase interactive session. Note that a digest is not merely an extended abstract, but rather a condensed summary of the work performed, including as much data and as many results and conclusions as possible.
Digests are peer-reviewed. Authors of accepted digests must be present at the conference in order to have their digests included in the conference proceedings.
Topics should be of interest to the graphics education community. The topics listed will have first priority.
- Curriculum development
- Teaching and learning strategies
- Assessment in graphics education
- 3D modelling in engineering design
- Innovative technology
- Diversity in engineering education
- Graphics in international contexts
- Virtual/augmented reality
- Trends in graphical education
- Graphics education at elementary & K-12 levels
Submit abstracts and digests electronically by 5PM EDT on due dates to:
Selected digests will be invited for a special issue of the Engineering Design Graphics Journal
The EDGD media session is intended to be an interactive session, which allows the authors to discuss their topics or demonstrate techniques.
The session allows for one-on-one interaction with the audience. Display boards and/or tables will be provided. In addition, authors can set up a computer display that allows interactivity or onscreen displays. This format allows authors to display physical props or models that are not as effective in a larger group presentation. The presentation should include visuals; simply posting a paper is not acceptable.
|Hello to Attendees of the 73rd EDGD Midyear Conference in Berkeley California!
We are happy that you can join us this year for our annual Midyear Conference. Here are some reminders:
- All events will be held in Bowles Hall, which is located at 1928 Stadium Rim Way in Berkeley. It is across the street from the main UC Berkeley campus on the west side, around a 10-15 minute walk from the hotels. The building looks like a castle, with an American flag flying from the tower. Call Dennis Lieu at 1-925-330-8781 if you get lost.
- Check-in will be at Bowles Hall starting Sunday morning at 9:00 AM. Please go through the main doors, located at the top of the long set of stairs in front of the building. Turn left immediately in the foyer to enter the Dining Hall, and the check-in table will be right there. After check-in you are free to hang around the building. It’s a sort of neat place.
- You should bring your laptop computers. All of the workshops (NCSU, Autodesk, Solid Professor) will require a laptop computer. The guest WiFi in the building is free, and fast.
- The Executive Committee will meet on Sunday, 6 January, 3:00 – 5:00 PM, in the Hart Library in Bowles Hall.
- The NCSU workshop will be 5:00 – 6:00 PM, also in the Hart Library in Bowles Hall.
- There is a Media Showcase and Welcome Reception 6:00 – 8:00 PM in Bowles Hall. Be sure to attend this event. There will be food enough for dinner and a live jazz band http://www.suenosjazz.com/ . This will be your best opportunity to meet old friends and make new ones.
|Registration fees for the 73rd Midyear:
EDGD Member – $250
Students – $150
Guests – $150
The EDG Division would like to thank its sponsors for their support.
Bancroft Hotel is the primary hotel, $149/night
2680 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94704
Across the street from main campus, 10 min walk to Bowles Hall
The Graduate Hotel is a secondary hotel, $199/night
2600 Durant Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94704
One block from campus, 12 min walk to Bowles Hall
Men’s Faculty Club is secondary hotel, $150-182/night
Berkeley, CA 94720
On the UC Berkeley campus, 5 min walk to Bowles Hall
| Program Information (PDF)
*Subject to change, last updated 1/4/19
|Sunday January 6
5:00 – 6:00 PM NCSU WorkshopMonday January 7
3:00 – 5:00 PM Autodesk Workshop
5:30 – 6:30 PM Solid Professor WorkshopTuesday January 8
2:00 – 5:00 PM Autodesk Gallery & Pier 9
Workshop*Workshop descriptions coming soon*
|The Division is pleased to present the following hosted events at the 73rd Midyear Conference. Please remember to thank the event sponsors for their generosity:
Sunday, 6 January, 6:00 – 8:00 PM. Welcome Reception with real food and live jazz. Bowles Hall, 1928 Stadium Rim Way, Berkeley. Hosted by Solidworks.
Monday, 7 January, 7:00 – 8:30 PM. Dinner at Free House in Berkeley http://www.berkeleyfreehouse.com, 2700 Bancroft Way, Berkeley (walking distance). Hosted by Solid Professor.
Tuesday, 8 January, 5:00 – 7:00 PM. Awards Dinner. Autodesk Gallery in San Francisco https://www.autodesk.com/gallery/visit-us, 1 Market Street, Second Floor, San Francisco (BART subway train to Embarcadero Station). Hosted by Autodesk.
| DATES TO REMEMBER
Conference: January 6-8, 2019
Abstract Submission Deadline: July 20
Digest Submission Deadline: August 24
Final Digest Due: Oct 26
Future ASEE Engineering Design Graphics Division Midyear Conferences
74th Midyear Conference – TBA
UPCOMIMG ASEE EVENTS
2019 ASEE Annual Conference – June 16-19, 2019, Tampa FL
Program Chair: Ted Branoff and Heidi Steinhauer
For more information, please visit: https://www.asee.org/conferences-and-events/conferences/annual-conference/2018
Questions? Contact — Daniel Kelly